Sumy State University counts its history since 1948, when the educational and consulting center of the Moscow Institute of Metal Industry (Moscow) was created in Sumy.
During 45 years its development continued as a general technical faculty of the All-Union, and eventually the Ukrainian correspondence polytechnic and Kharkiv Polytechnic (KHPI) institutes. Since 1966 - as a Sumy branch of the KhPI with a full-time form of study. And since 1990, the Sumy Institute of Physics and Technology has become a powerful institution of higher education with a wide range of engineering and technical specialties.
In 1993, implementing the concept of higher education according to the model of the leading universities of the world, the Sumy Institute of Physics and Technology was transformed into Sumy State University - the university of the classical type with the branched structure (basic educational institution, institutes, colleges, technical schools).